The Mystery of the Valve Stem Cover

 I have a tire that likes to leak a little air from the valve stem.  Well....more that it is super sensitive to any moisture in the air - and when the temperature drops, the valve stem releases a little pressure.  Never too much - always equalizes about down 10 PSI - but I typically run over and put air in the tire at that point at the Gas Station a couple of miles away.  It can go months.....or days...depending upon the position of the valve stem. (Yeah - I know - get a new tire!!)

On Sunday - before running to BG for the King's third hockey game of the weekend - Mr. Oz sweetly decided to stop and top up the air in the offending tire (it was registering off about 6 psi).  And being an awesome Hubby - he also decided to make sure that the other three had the appropriate pressure as well (although they weren't registering low).  

As we pulled away - we noticed that one of the tires - not the typical offender - was slowly losing PSI.  A mile later, we stopped at another Gas Station and Mr. Oz noted that the valve stem on that one was leaking a little air.  He re-pressurized it...made sure the stem was straight, and off we went.

On our way back home later - Mr. Oz noted that yet another of the original non-offending tires was now registering low.  Again, we stopped and he reinflated.  All was well.

Flash to last evening.

I hopped in the car last night to make the traditional daily "Run to Sautter's to pick up something for dinner".  (It is a longstanding tradition - begun by my beautiful mother, lol). 

Tire #3 (the non-original offender) was again low - down 10 PSI.  I thought "Well, I will see if Sautter's has any valve stem covers in their limited little hardware section, and if not, I will see if the gas station next door has any after I put more air in the tire and see if I can straighten the stem by the catch inside the valve cover".

Small Backstory - about a year and a half ago, I had taken the valve stem covers off the tires and placed them in my cupholder.  Of course - someone wanted to put something in the cupholder - and I don't remember who - but the 4 covers were placed somewhere "safe" in the car - and they are still safe to this moment because I have no clue where they are)

Sautters was a Nope. The Gas Station - post air - was a Nope. Crud.  Quick check of the door panel, quick check in the glasses compartment, quick check in the center console - Nuttin.  "Ah well", I thought. I'll have to remember to pick some up in the hopes of stopping the issues with the stupid valve stems.

This morning, I walked into my home office.  Coming around my desk I noticed something odd.  1 single Valve Stem Cover sitting on the upper corner of my desk. Just one. "That's weird!" I thought. (No one goes into my office - and to be honest, I just recently set up this desk (within the last monthish) and the desk is pretty much clean other than some mail that I have dropped on it. ).  

One. Valve. Stem. Cover.

Chuckling, I said out loud, "Thanks Dad, I appreciate it"; this is totally something that he would have done were he still here.  And continued on with my morning. 

At lunchtime, I wandered out to my car to run down to the corner to pick up some coffee. For some reason, I picked up the valve stem cover on my way out of my office and dropped it in my pocket.

Firing up the car -  "Bing" went the low tire warning. The third tire was at 12 PSI - down 25 PSI.  Slowly I made my way to the gas station...and re inflated.  And popped on the valve stem cover.  And again said "Thanks Dad". And went on my merry way. 


Just checked the tire pressure monitor in my car - 3.5 hours after refilling and closing off the valve stem with the cover.  No. Loss. of Pressure. 

Where the valve stem cover came from?  Not a clue.  Why was it on my desk?  No clue either?  Is the tire done losing pressure?  Great Question.  All I know is that it is a mystery......and .... thanks dad. 



Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks Dad.

Popular Posts