Ethernet vs. USB Internet Connections

I have been fighting and fighting my ISP provider (bellsouth) regardnig really cruddy connection speeds to the internet versus their "best promise rate". Had been getting about 800 Kbps (for those of you on dial-up..still wayyyyyy faster than what you get....but far below the 3.0 mbps I had been promised!). Had been connecting through a USB Hub....and had been frustrated all along!

Purchased a new wireless home network (okay...so it still isn't set up completely!), so that Hunter could cruise the net on his new computer while I could maintain the connectivity on the family computer. Requisite with the network was my switching to Ethernet rather than USB, as my version of Windows 98 didn't support connecting a net through the USB.

Amazingly enough...my speeds jumped the minute I reconnected the computer after installing the E-net Network Card! WHOO HOO! Of course..Hunter still can't cruise the net, as during the set up process I keep getting the blue screen of death...but hey...I am cruising as fast as I want to! YEA!

(Okay...Joycie's computer glossary so that you can understand what I was talking about up there!)

USB - Universal Serial Bus - a standard port that enables you to connect external devices (such as digital cameras, scanners, and mice) to Windows 98 and newer (and Mac)computers. Many of the latest digital cameras offer USB as well as serial connections.

Ethernet - common method of networking computers in a LAN using copper cabling and can be used with almost any kind of computer. An e-net card is anetwork adapter that lets a computer connect to the Ethernet. Can be installed as a separate component or can come on the motherboard (brain).

Kbps - Your modem's speed is measured in the number of bits it can transfer in a second. (ie: 56.6 Kbps...the typical dial-up modem) 1 kbps = 1,000 bits per second

Mbps - Faster measure of speed...Megabits per second. (1.5 mbps is about 125x faster than 56.6K....)

Blue Screen of Death - Geek slang to describe the Fatal Exception Error screen that appears after a full-blown system crash in Windows (tis a wonderful blue....and supposedly Mr. Gates had solved the issue...but even XP gets the BSOD every so often!)

See...you even learned something today!

Comments

Popular Posts