Back in time

Earlier this afternoon, I put the King down for a nap on my bed, and I snagged a few minutes of "mommy" time laying with him, and reading a few pages of a book I have been trying to finish for about 3 months.

As many of you know, when Moms lay down to read for a few minutes while trying to get a toddler to nap, they often drop off to sleep as well. I think it is a hazard of the Mom job. After all, I had already accomplished 3 hours at the office, played mediator between the teenager and the toddler, puttered around the house, loaded the dishwasher, and the like. And it was only 12:30!

So off we both drifted into the land of nod. It was sheer bliss considering the sheer amount of running around of late!

I know that I slept hard. In fact, I even hit the dream state, although I can't tell you what I dreamed, just that I did. As I drifted awake gently, I smelled the distinct aroma of a cooking pot roast replete with carmelized onions. Potatoes? Definitely potatoes! It smelled so rich, and so - well - so right!

I gently opened my eyes to the blue walls of my bedroom of my youth, sighed and then thought "Yea! Mmmmm. Mom's making pot roast." I heard my stomach growl and I rolled over to look at the clock to see how long until dinner was ready. Bummer...it was only 3:00 p.m. An hour and a half until dinner.

Then I looked up to the ceiling and was surprised by the skylight above me. I spun my head back to the clock and it dawned on me that the clock was...well...in a bedroom painted white, and that there was a sleeping toddler next to me; a sleeping toddler who calls me Mom.

I sniffed the air again and was met with - nothing. No pot roast, and even more sadly, no Mom in the kitchen making dinner while I lazily took a nap in my bedroom.

I have to say...the roast would have been awesome for dinner, and while I wouldn't trade the King sleeping next to me for all of the gold in the world...truly having Mom at the dinner table would have made my nap just perfect.

Comments

Popular Posts